LionMail Mobile and Email Client Setup
ON THIS PAGE
LionMail is Columbia's state-of-the-art email, contacts and calendaring system, powered by Google. It provides a secure and convenient way to send and receive mail from any location using just a web browser such as Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Safari. The supported browsers are the current and the previous release of your preferred browser.
Please remember that the Gmail web interface is CUIT's only fully supported method for reading LionMail.
All Columbia University Morningside students, faculty and staff have LionMail, though some administrative departments have opted to use Outlook Exchange. CUMC students, faculty and staff use the CUMC email system. CUMC affiliates do not use LionMail.
LionMail setup for your mobile/tablet
LionMail from your iPhone browser (quick access):
You can follow the steps below to add LionMail to your iPhone, but remember that you can always access LionMail on the web from any browser, including your mobile device, without any configuration:
- Open the browser on your iPhone enter the following URL: lionmail.columbia.edu
- Log in to your LionMail account with your UNI and password
Adding LionMail as an email account on your iPhone (iOS 14.x)
Updated December 4, 2020
1. Open the Settings application on your phone's home screen.
2. Select Mail.
3. Select Add Account.
4. Select Google.
5. A pop-up will appear: ""Settings" Wants to use "google.com" to Sign In"". Select Continue.
7. The blue Columbia login screen will appear. Close the orange cookies disclaimer at the bottom. Enter your UNI (without @columbia.edu) and your password, and select Login.
8. You will taken to the Duo multifactor authentication screen. Select your preferred authentication method and validate.
9. After validating, you will be taken to the Gmail sync screen. Deselect any options you do not wish to have synced on your iPhone and select Save.
LionMail from your iPad browser (quick access):
You can follow the steps below to add LionMail to your iPhone Mail app, but remember that you can always access LionMail on the web from any browser, including your mobile device, without any configuration, by simply:
- Open the browser on your iPhone or iPad and enter the following URL: lionmail.columbia.edu
- Log in to your LionMail account with your UNI and password.
Adding LionMail as an email account on your iPad (iOS 10.x):
1. Open the Settings application on your tablet's home screen.
2. Click on Mail in the left window and then click Add Account in the right window.
3. Click on the Google mail option.
5. Type in your UNI and UNI password and click Next.
6. Choose the options for the applications you wish to sync and click Save.
1. From the home screen, select the Google icon.
2. Click on Gmail.
3. Click GOT IT.
4. Click on Add an email address.
5. Click on Google option.
7. Click ACCEPT on the following screen.
8. Enter your UNI and UNI password and click LOGIN.
9. Choose whether you would like to automatically backup your device data and click NEXT.
10. The following screen will pop up, indicating the setup is complete:
Open Outlook and select from the top Outlook > Preferences.... > at the bottom select "New Account..."
Type your email address in as [email protected] Select "Continue" but wait for the "Choose the Provider" to appear and quickly click it before the application goes on to the next page. If it does, then select to go back and try again.
This will take you to another web page to authenticate. Please make sure your default browser is set to Google Chrome.
Verify it's you!
Choose your Columbia mail account.
Scroll to the bottom of the page and select "Allow"
Select to open in Outlook
Select "Done" and close the window.
Expand your new added account if you are adding to Outlook.
Open Outlook and enter your LionaMail address
Enter your LionMail password
Change the outgoing server to smtp.gmail.com and port number 587. Then click on Next.
Wait for "We're getting things ready" to complete its sync. Uncheck "Set up Outlook Mobile on my phone, too" Select "Done".
LionMail setup for Microsoft Outlook
1. Click on the File Menu in the upper right corner and then click on Account Settings.
2. Click on Account Settings below.
3. Click on New.
4. Type your Columbia email address, click on Advanced Options, check the box “Let me set up my account manually,” and click Connect.
5. Click on Google.
6. Type in your UNI Password and click Connect.
7. Click Next.
8. Login with your UNI and Password and authenticate with DUO.
9. Click Allow.
Columbia Directory (LDAP) setup for your email client
Configure your email client to offer UNIs and names from the Columbia directory by adding LDAP (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol).
Please note that Columbia LDAP is not available for Apple Mail. If you prefer to use an email client on your macOS computer, only Microsoft Outlook for Mac is supported by Google and will work with the Columbia LDAP instructions below.
1. Open Outlook and select File from the banner menu. Click on the Account Settings drop-down box and select Account Settings.
2. Click on the Address Books tab, then select New.
3. Click on the radio button for Internet Directory Service (LDAP), then select Change and Close (in older versions of Outlook, click Next, as shown below).
4. Enter ldap.columbia.edu as the Server Name, then check the box in front of This server requires me to log on and enter the following UNI login credentials:
- User Name: uni=your UNI,ou=People,o=Columbia University,c=US
- For example, if your UNI is ab1234, enter: uni=ab1234,ou=People,o=Columbia University,c=US
- Password: your UNI password
- Enter the password you use to log in to your Columbia email, SSOL, My.Columbia, PAC, etc.
5. Choose More Settings ... (You might receive a popup message stating that you must restart Outlook for these changes to take effect). Click OK to close the pop-up.
Under the Connection tab, enter Columbia Directory for the Display Name. Change the Port: to 636, and check the Use Secure Sockets Layer box.
6. Select the Search tab.
Under Server Settings, enter:
- Search timeout in seconds: 60
- Specify the maximum number of entries you want to return after a successful search: 100
Under Search Base, enter the following in the Custom: box:
Click Apply and then OK.
7. Click Next.
8. Click Finish and restart Outlook.