Google Apps for LionMail
To enhance LionMail, CUIT has enabled a number of Google Apps for Columbia's users in addition to the core set of Google services and applications that come with LionMail (Mail, Contacts, Calendar and Drive). These additional apps offer other ways for the Columbia community to connect and share resources, or provide specialized web tools.
Please note that although CUIT has enabled these apps for your use, they are not part of the core set of Google services managed by CUIT, therefore support is only available through Google's online support documentation. Please also review the security information below before using any of these apps.
Enabled LionMail Apps
- Google Analytics is a free web analytics service that tracks and reports on website traffic to help you better understand how people are using your site and which content they are accessing.
- Data collection and management with Google Analytics provides a single, accurate view of the customer that can be customized to your needs and shared across the organization.
- Using Google Analytics with your LionMail email address:
- For CUIT-provided Drupal sites:
- If you do not already have a Google Analytics account, please submit a request to have an Analytics account associated with your LionMail account set up for your site. When contacting Web Services, make sure to include the URL for the site(s) you would like to monitor with Google Analytics.
- If you already have an existing Google Analytics account that is not associated with your LionMail account and UNI, you will need to add your LionMail address as an Account User within your Google Analytics settings in order to access your account with your LionMail email. Instructions are available on the Google support site.
- For CUNIX or Columbia Blogs (WordPress) sites:
- To set up Analytics for CUNIX or Columbia Blogs (WordPress) sites, please contact [email protected].
- For non-CUIT-provided sites:
- If you are currently using Google Analytics to manage non-CUIT-provided websites, you will continue to be able to monitor those sites under your existing account.
- If your existing account is not associated with your LionMail address, you can add your LionMail address as an Account User to your existing account by following these instructions.
- For CUIT-provided Drupal sites:
- Additional help and information regarding the use of Google Analytics is available from Google Support or at the Google Analytics Academy.
- Google Books functions just like a normal web search, but limits results to content within a published book or document.
- If a book is out of copyright, or the publisher has provided Google with permission, a preview of the book will be available and, sometimes, the entire text.
- If the book is in the public domain, you will have the option of downloading a free PDF copy.
- "Buy this book" and "Borrow this book" links will point you to information and resources from where you can buy or borrow the book.
- Learn more about different views in Google Books.
- Shop for books in the Google Play store.
- Additional help and information regarding Google Books is available from Google Support.
- Released on September 3rd, 2017.
- Google Developers Console (Cloud Platform) lets you build, deploy, and scale applications, websites, and services on the same infrastructure as Google.
- Steps for using the Google Developers Console in LionMail.
- For personal use only. Providing a University P-Card for the credit card information is not permitted.
- Help and information regarding Google Developer Console (Cloud Platform) is available from Google Support.
- Google Groups provide forums for online collaboration and communication.
- The Google Groups service is not the same as Groups for Business.
- Google Groups are public-facing and viewable by everyone.
- Groups for Business allows owners and managers to manage access to the group.
- Additional help and information for Google Groups is available from Google Support
- https://chat.google.com Includes direct messaging, group chat, and advanced features, such as spaces, chat bots, and powerful search.
- https://meet.google.com Includes high-fidelity group video meetings, screensharing, and live captioning. Depending on which edition of Google Workspace you have, Meet might also include advanced features, such as up to 500 participants per meeting, meeting recordings, and in-domain live streaming.
Location History allows Google to show you useful information, based on where you've been with the devices that you're signed into with your Google Account. For example, you'll see predictions for your frequent commutes, as well as more refined search and advertising results.
- Google Maps provides very accurate maps from around the world, utilizing GPS to allow you to find your current or any location that is in the Google Maps database, and generate routes between locations. In the University environment, Maps can be used as a supplement to learning activities, as well as to provide resources for the campus community.
- Google Maps are in use on the Columbia University website, for resources like campus housing and printing.
- In February 2019, Google My Maps was enabled for Columbia, which allows you create and share custom maps.
- Additional help and information regarding Google Maps is available from Google Support.
Before using the apps described above, you should also be aware that these apps do not fall under the agreement between Columbia University and Google that offers enhanced security that applies to LionMail's core apps. The apps above are subject to Google's Consumer Terms, which do not protect confidential information to the extent required by FERPA. Therefore, any sensitive or confidential data, as defined in the Columbia University Data Classification Policy, must not be disclosed or transmitted through any apps other than LionMail, Calendar, Contacts or Drive. CUIT highly recommends that you review Google's Consumer Terms, as they are an agreement between you and Google.
Furthermore, please note that when you first access any of the enabled apps, you will see the message shown in the screenshot below, reminding you of our security and privacy policies. Although this standard wording from Google may make it sound as if there have been changes to our security and privacy policies, be assured that CUIT's standard policies are still in effect and that no additional data or information will be visible to, or shared with, CUIT than is currently the case.