If your computing issue needs to be handled in-person, please schedule an appointment at the Walk-in Center.
The CUIT Walk-in Center provides software assistance and hands-on troubleshooting related to CUIT provided software on personal laptops (PC and Mac), handheld devices, and University-issued mobile and ROLM phones. Customers are required to have an eligible Columbia UNI and must schedule an appointment to receive support.
202 Philosophy Hall, 1150 Amsterdam Avenue · New York, NY 10027
Open Monday–Friday from 10am–4pm by appointment only, following Columbia's social distancing guidelines.
Walk-in Center holiday closures
- Martin Luther King Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Election Day
- Thanksgiving Break
- November 22, 2023, from 7:00 pm until November 27, 2023, at 8:00 am
- Christmas Break
- December 22, 2023, from 7:00 pm until December 27, 2023, at 8:00 am
- New Year's Break
- December 28, 2023, from 7:00 pm until January 2, 2024, at 8:00 am
Please check back for other days and weekends associated with each holiday as they approach. You can also check the Columbia University holiday calendar for specific holiday closure dates.
- Installation, and troubleshooting of CUIT-provided software
- Installation/configuration of operating system updates and CUIT-provided antivirus software
- Email configuration on your devices (LionMail, Outlook, Apple Mail, Thunderbird)
- Backup of small amounts of personal data (must have personal backup device)
- Moderate virus and spyware issues
- Moderate operating system issues such as slow response and application errors
- General questions about supported operating systems
- Network connectivity problems (wired and wireless)
- PawPrint help and account upgrades (Flex card is required for payment)
- General advice on creating a personal backup
- General advice on reformatting a computer
- Classroom computer and podium keys
Services the Walk-in Center is unequipped to accommodate
We regret that we are unable to help with the following requests:
- Hardware repairs
- Warranty services of any kind
- Operating system installs or repairs
- Data wiping or purging from personal devices
- Full backups of personal data
- Data retrieval from damaged or malfunctioning devices
- Unlocking or cracking of passwords or devices or operating systems
- Support for non-English operating systems
- Drop-off service (all work requires the presence of the laptop owner)
- Assistance with homework assignments or work assignments
- General support for desktop computers, tablets and/or peripherals such as printers and routers, digital cameras or mobile phones (we do help with configurations of CUIT-issued hardware and software)
- Training or tutorials for any Columbia or non-Columbia services or tools
- Re-installation of an operating system for laptops which have been suspended from the Columbia network due to a severe virus or malware infection
Yes, to prevent loss of personal data, please backup your devices, particularly for virus removal services.
The Walk-In Center technicians can help you run a virus scan.
Please bring your Columbia University ID or another government-issued form of identification and the ticket number assigned to you when you scheduled the appointment (e.g INC12345678).