Mathematica licenses, under Columbia's discounted pricing agreement with Wolfram, are generally available to Columbia University students, faculty and staff.
Clients purchasing Mathematica are responsible for the installation and correct use of the product, as well as understanding hardware and operating system requirements.
How to Obtain Mathematica Licenses
Students can receive Mathematica for free by following the account activation and download steps at the bottom of this page. Faculty and staff can purchase Mathematica at the rate(s) specified below by submitting an online request along with an ARC Chartstring for payment.
Pricing for the November 1, 2022–October 31, 2023 Validation License Period
- The volume licensing applies on a per service request basis.
- One license is the equivalent of either one computer (laptop, desktop) or a single Unix processor.
- The price is fixed and cannot be pro-rated. The software will not run after the license expires.
License Validity Dates
The Mathematica license is valid for a one year period, from November 1 through October 31. Mathematica has a 30 day grace period.
Documentation can be purchased separately through third parties or by visiting wolfram.com.
Mathematica for Students
CUIT is now offering Mathematica to Columbia University students on the Morningside campus and CUMC for free. You will need to request activate your account and request a download key.
Mathematica offers free online training sessions.
Request an activation key
- Fill out this form to request an activation key. You must use a Columbia or affiliated email address.
- After it is received and processed, you will receive the key and download instructions link.
- Run the installer on your machine, and enter your activation key when prompted.
If you need assistance, please submit a ticket to the CUIT Service Desk with questions.
- Navigate to https://user.wolfram.com/portal/requestSystemTransfer.html to access the System Transfer Form.
- Complete the form. This will all you to get a new activation key and password for the new computer.
- On your new computer, download Mathematica from the User Portal and activate with your new key.